Sauna therapy has been used around the world for thousands of years and is only increasing in popularity. Studies reveal that the benefits of sauna therapy go much beyond just relaxation and pleasure and that it has significant health benefits such as pain reduction, reduction in the risk of heart disease, weight loss, improved circulation and better sleep.
Installing a sauna in your home allows you to bring all the benefits that you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home without having to get out. However, purchasing a home sauna is a huge investment and there are several factors that you must consider. Before buying a home sauna, it is a good idea to understand more about saunas and learn about the different types of saunas, heat sources, brands and other factors before bringing one into your home.
Make sure that you check out the space available in your home to accommodate a sauna. You must also be clear about how many people will be using the sauna at a particular time. If at a given time, only one person will be using the sauna, then you can opt for a single sauna, which is designed for one person and is also much cheaper compared to a 3-person sauna, which is much larger and will also cost much more.
Before you actually buy a sauna, consider the dimensions of the sauna because even if they claim to accommodate the same number of people, the sizes of the saunas may vary. So, determine the size and the dimensions and also the available space in your home before you actually go out and buy the sauna.
The heating system of the sauna is very important. There are usually 2 options – carbon fiber and ceramic and both have their own benefits:
- Carbon Fiber Heater: They distributes the heat in a uniform manner and offer better heat coverage. Also, the infrared heat from carbon fiber saunas can penetrate more deeply into your skin.
- Ceramic Heater: These are quite inexpensive compared to carbon fiber heaters; however, the ceramic heaters are not as efficient as carbon fiber heating systems.
If you have the budget, then it is best to go in for a sauna with a carbon fiber heater. However, if your budget is tight, then you can also consider mica, which is much cheaper than both carbon fiber and ceramic, but is also not as efficient as both of them.
When buying a home sauna, you must consider the surface area and the plates used in the sauna. A sauna equipped with smaller plates heats up faster, especially when the surface area is also small. And, a sauna having a larger surface area will emit heat more uniformly, although it takes a longer time to get heated up fully. Also, saunas having larger surface areas are easier to manage.
The most important consideration when buying an infrared sauna is its heat output. Most of the infrared saunas use large-sized square heating elements, which run on electricity and these are quite effective. The number of heating elements determines how quickly the infrared sauna is heated. The placement of the element also determines how well the interior will be heated. Infrared saunas of the highest quality have heating elements distributed throughout the sauna and even the floor has heating elements to ensure that your feet remain warm.
Consider the construction of the sauna and do take time to look at customer reviews and interactions with customer service. Check if the sauna has a warranty and all repairs and replacements are done under warranty. If the warranty offered is for a very short period, then the quality of the sauna may not be up to the mark and the product may not be durable and long lasting.
Construction also includes the electrical elements of the sauna. Some sauna models can be plugged straight away into your regular electrical outlet; however, others may require more power, which means you may have to incur some additional expenses to figure out the electrical requirements. Always understand the electrical power requirements in terms of the voltage before deciding on the sauna to buy.
While the aesthetics of the sauna is quite subjective, it is an extremely important factor to consider. And, no matter where you decide to install the sauna in your home, you definitely want it to look great. It is a good idea to look for a sauna with pleasing wood construction. These usually look stylish and timeless. You can pick the type of wood according to your personal preference and there are several options available, so you should be able to definitely find a stylish design for your home without sacrificing the quality.
Most saunas available today come with an inbuilt sound system. And, if the sauna you are considering is medium to high end, then it should at least be equipped with an auxiliary port to connect your mp3 player and a radio. Some saunas come with the option of Bluetooth too.
An important accessory is the control panel which the sauna should have both, inside as well as on the outside. Having the controls in both places helps you to have an overall better experience. Also, look for a sauna that offers adjustable heat settings, removable benches, footpads, aromatherapy, light therapy, etc. All these extras definitely add to the overall comfort and luxury of your home sauna.
The Radiant Saunas 2-Person Sauna has plenty of features that offers excellent relaxation. The sauna features chromotherapy lighting that helps to combat anxiety and stress and it also has an oxygen ionizer which makes your entire sauna experience more refreshing. The sauna has 6 carbon heaters that can heat the sauna up to 141 degrees. The sauna is extremely easy to operate and it has a very simple control panel.
The infrared sauna is equipped with an excellent sound system which has a radio, as well as an aux input, which allows you to listen to your favorite music while you’re having your sauna therapy. The sauna has a bronze-tinted door made of 8 mm glass which is scratch proof and also resistant to high temperatures.
The sauna is extremely easy to assemble, thanks to the simple buckle connectors. Made from solid Canadian hemlock, the Radiant Saunas 2-Person Sauna is very strong and durable yet has a very aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- Exterior Dimensions: 75” h x 49” w x 39” d
- Interior Dimensions: 67” h x 43” w x 35” d
- Power: 120 V, 15 Amps
- Backrests: 2
- Canadian hemlock construction
- Chromotherapy lighting
- Oxygen Ionizer
- Sound system with radio and aux input
- 8 mm tinted glass door
- 6 carbon heaters
- Buckle assembly
- 7-year warranty
- Chromotherapy lighting offers a very relaxing sauna experience.
- Durable and sturdy construction.
- Easy to assemble.
- The adjustable roof vents can be opened if you want fresh air.
- 7-year warranty that gives you peace of mind.
- Outdated control panel.
- Placement of the heaters is not very good.
You can buy the Radiant Saunas 2-Person Sauna on Amazon.
The Joyous 2-person sauna is manufactured by JNH Lifestyles, which is a popular brand known for manufacturing efficient and safe infrared home saunas. The Joyous 2-person sauna is good for use by 1 to 2 adults.
Constructed from double-layered Canadian hemlock, the sauna is durable and long lasting. The wood is eco-friendly and natural and does not have any chemicals that can leach out when the sauna is heated. The sauna unit is equipped with 7 carbon fiber infrared heaters which heat up the sauna very quickly and efficiently.
The sauna has a spacious bench that is very comfortable and allows you to relax during the sauna therapy. Overall, the Joyous 2-person sauna is a great option for couples wanting to enjoy sauna therapy in the comfort of their own home.
- Dimensions: 75” h x 47.3″ w x 39.5″ d
- Made of double-layered 100% Canadian hemlock wood, no plywood
- FSC-certified natural wood
- 7 carbon fiber far infrared heaters
- Dual-wall insulation
- Tongue and Groove (T&G) construction
- 2 premium speakers, in-built 3.5 mm aux control, volume rocker
- LED lighting
- Digital control panel
- Comes with 2-year warranty and lifetime tech support
- 7 heaters placed at the side, back and calf areas that helps to maximize heating.
- Easy tool-free assembly.
- Double-layered construction offers excellent insulation.
- Built-in sound system to give you the perfect sauna experience.
- You need to pay extra for features such as chromotherapy lighting, oxygen ionizer, etc.
- Assembly instructions are not very clear.
- Unit is quite bulky and requires plenty of space.
You can buy the Joyous 2-person sauna on Amazon
Built from reforested Canadian hemlock wood, the Dynamic Saunas Barcelona Sauna heats up faster and also retains heat for a longer time. The Barcelona sauna has a compact design and can still accommodate up to 2 people. The sauna is equipped with 6 low-EMF carbon heating panels which are energy-efficient and ensures better heating.
The Barcelona sauna features a control panel both inside and outside the unit that allows you to control the temperature and timing. The unit is equipped with chromotherapy lights that are remote controlled. The clasp assembly makes the assembly of the sauna unit quick and easy.
The sauna unit has many other convenient features such as a magazine rack, towel holder, aux mp3 connectivity and speakers for music and the unit features a door made of tempered glass that allows you to look outside while relaxing in the sauna. The aesthetic design of the Barcelona sauna makes it a great “fit” for your home.
- Built using reforested Canadian hemlock wood
- Dual-layer insulation
- Digital control panel
- 6 FAR infrared carbon heating panels
- Chromotherapy unit (remote controlled)
- Aux mp3 connectivity with speakers
- Clasp assembly
- Power: 15 Amps, 100 V
- Aesthetic design.
- Double layered wall retains heat better.
- Very simple to assemble.
- Soft-touch control panel with LED allows you to set temperature and duration.
- Fits one person comfortably. May be a tight fit for 2 people.
- Floor and bench heaters may not produce sufficient heat.
You can buy the Dynamic Saunas Barcelona sauna on Amazon.
If you’re looking for an infrared sauna for your home that is extremely easy to assemble and operate, then the BetterLife Sauna is an excellent option. The unit is equipped with 8 carbon fiber heating panels and the unit is very energy efficient. The sauna features a soft-touch LED control panel that displays the temperature and time.
The floor and the bench of the unit are also equipped with a heater of lower wattage, which does not cause any burning sensation. The unit has chromotherapy lighting that helps to boost your relaxation. The BetterLife Sauna is a full-spectrum sauna, which essentially means that it emits all types of infrared rays – near, far and medium. The sauna unit is equipped with an mp3 aux connection that lets you listen to your favorite music while enjoying your sauna session.
- Dimensions: 77” x 40” x 36”
- Power: 110 Volts, 15 Amps
- 8 carbon fiber heating panels
- MP3 aux connection
- Comes with a 7-year limited warranty on heating elements and electronics, 1-year limited warranty on the radio and 3-year limited warranty on the wood
- Energy efficient sauna.
- Very simple to assemble and plug-and-play operation.
- Chromotherapy lighting enhances relaxation.
- Floor and bench are equipped with heaters of lower wattage and this helps to reduce the burning sensation.
- Soft-touch LED panel is convenient to control temperature and time.
- The sauna may be small for 2 people.
- The heaters go above the head level.
You can buy the BetterLife 1-2 Person Sauna on Amazon
Selecting the best infrared sauna for your home depends on what you really want from your sauna. Evaluate all the features that are available and prioritize them so that you are able to get a sauna that fits your needs exactly. Look at all the basic features and then see what extras are being offered. Once you do that and find the space in your home where you plan to install your sauna, you are all set to enjoy many hours of relaxation.